Anodising is the process of electrolytic passivation - used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer in aluminium and provide a colour by dyeing. The process increases the corrosion and wear resistance - the greater the thickness the greater the resistance.
The advatages of anodised as a surface finish are:
- Superior bonding of the colour - as it is a metal reaction rather than a coating.
- Colour stability.
- A safe non hazardous coating process, not harmful to human health nor has any dangerous by-products.
Whilst dissadavantages of the finish can be:
- Brittleness of the coating and susceptability to scratching if care is not undertaken during manufacture or on-site .
- Scratches can be difficult to repair.
- Due to the coating process being critical to time - batches can vary in shades.
Thermosash recommend commercial grade 20 micron finish for exterior building applications.